Sunday, December 9, 2012

2012 USATF National Junior Olympic XC Ceremonies Albuquerque Convention Center

This is the beginning of the Cross Country Event on December 8, 2012.
But first on December 7, 2012 the USATF National Cross Country athletes will party.

The Native Americans and Mexican Americans of the state of New Mexico was showing off their culture. New Mexico has a large minority of Mexican American and Native American people. The Governor of New Mexico and the Mayor of Albuquerque actively support this event by speaking at it. To get to the convention center, people had to go through a traffic jam looking much like Pittsburgh on Steelers Football day. The Native American Nations have their own track and cross country teams and they actively compete in regional and national events.

The march of the national athletes started with the athletes from Region 16, that includes New Mexico. Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego, and Southern California is in this Region as well.

The march in this video starts with the athletes from Region 8, Iowa, Dakotas, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

The march in this video starts with the athletes from Region 6, Alabama, Tennessee, and the rest of the southern states. Daniel is in this video, representing Region 2, upstate New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Eastern Ohio, and Northern West Virginia. Region 1 includes New York City, New England, Maine, Long Island, Connecticut, and the Adirondack area.

The Steelers and National Politics








 Terry Gachupin and her husband came to support their son that is on their Native American Running Club Team.  Her son ran against Daniel. She is a member of three Native American Nations in the state. They invited me to come visit their reservation. I will as soon as I retire.
 
Now you know that I am not going to go over 2,000 mile and keep my mouth shut about the Steelers and politics. Native and Mexican Americans see my Steelers coat and hat and start talking to me about New Mexico is Steelers Country.   

My  youngest daughter Amanda came home from school one day telling me that her teacher told her that she is not Native American. That made me pay a visit to CD High School. Someone had to teach these people what makes up a Native American. I am telling you this because I went to New Mexico to tell them who they are. I became friends with a Mexican American working for the City. I asked him what Native American is he. He told me that he is a Mexican and not Native American. So I had to proceed to tell him that before Mexico was Mexico, it was the home of the Aztec empire, Toltec, Zapotec, Mixtec, and the Purepecha.  I said that he did not look like his ancestors came from Spain to me.  Then he said, well I guess I am a Native American after all. I replied, yea, the American/Mexican boarder crossed you, you did not cross it!

The end keeper at the hotel was telling me that people think that she is Chinese. Well people tell me that about Amanda. The beautiful tall young end keeper is half Navajo Nation and half Gallina.     

The Opening of the Cross Country Meet, Dec., 8, 2012


Stephanie wants a ride in a balloon. Daniel and I said go ahead but leave us behind.

 
Stephanie away!!!! Oh, you are still here? 



Stephanie told Daniel to stand still for the National Anthem. Daniel said which one? In his family, he was born in the United States, has a mother born and raised in the United States, and he goes to school in the United States. However, his father is a Jamaican citizen and Daniel has an extended family in Jamaica. He is learning everything there is to know about Jamaica including the Jamaican National Anthem. So as a 7 year old, he wants to know which national anthem are they going to play?

It's Show Time Daniel!



Daniel is near the half mile mark. He is trying to move up among the 140 athletes in the 2k race.



Daniel breaks clear of the pack and becomes fixed to caught the next pack of runners near the three forth mile marker.



We came over 2,000 miles to watch Daniel run for 8 Minutes, 51.13 Seconds. We got the results.


We took a few pictures.

 Now it is time to get out of here!

Then Stephanie gets this phone call telling us that we have to make it to the plane in one hour across town. If we do not make it, it will be 24 hours before we can leave to go home. I drove my fool butt off like I have not driven since my teenage years. But once at the Airport, we still had to get through a long line at the FSA (Federal Security Administration). I got in line then next thing I know, Stephanie is talking to the FSA and we were given special treatment through security. We ran through the Airport like the old days of OJ Simpson and just made it to the plane.

When we came to Albuquerque, NM, we came with a plane full of Children. The plane was packed. Going home, these people must not have known that their plane flight was canceled and that means they could not leave until the afternoon of Dec. 9, 2012. How did Stephanie know to run to the airport? Do you recall that I told you that she has all the latest Apps on her latest Cell Phone? She stayed in constant communications with the Airline and every one else dealing with our trip.  It is nice to have a daughter that is smarter than me!   
   
We made it home!


You know what comes next, Daniel it is time to hit the treadmill, 10 MPH, for 5 Minutes for 5 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment