Monday, April 9, 2012

The Amish, the German Americans, and Me

This Easter was a very busy day for me. Every Easter morning I take a drive up to the Montour Preserve run by the Washingtonville, Pa. PPL Plant in Northern Pennsylvania.
The Preserve is a huge place where people fish and hike.


As I stood on top of the Dam holding back the lake, I took a picture of the coal fired PPL plant about 3 miles away.


It takes about 6 hours to hike all the way around the lake.

If you are looking for a cheap vacation, a trip to lake Chillisquaque in the summer provides a noiseless peaceful place to relax and play for the whole family.



Later on that day, my Northern Pennsylvania adopted family gave me a birthday cake and presents. The wind was to strong to light my two candles advertising that I am now 61 years old.



This is the heart of "Derr Land" so you know that since this is Easter and I am at this park, the Derr Klan must be involved. Linda Beaver, the number 2 person in this Klan baked this very special cake and put my favorite candy on it. She is always doing something nice for me.


Many people in the Derr Klan work on many of my special projects. Deb Delaney, the number 4 Klan member who is married to my favorite "Back Woods Man" was seen bragging to her "mother in law" about how I know more about their family than they do. The Derr's married into the Pentz family. The Pentz Family can be traced back to Prussia (Part of German, capital Berlin) before the American Revolution and the French and Indian War.

The Derr Family came from the Rhineland. More recently the Rhineland (Rheinland in German) has become the general name for areas of Germany along the middle and lower Rhine in Germany between Bingen and the Dutch border, or between the confluence with the Neckar and Cologne. To the west the area stretches to the borders with Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands; on the eastern side it only encompasses the towns and cities along the river. Except for the Saar this area more or less corresponds with the modern use of the term.


William Penn gave a group of "Derr family members" land in Northern Central Pennsylvania when Penns Woods was first founded. One group of Derrs went on to found Lewisburg, Pa. on Route 15. Today, many Derr people claim not to be related to one another. In my opinion, because of family disputes, and lost history of relations, many do not know that they are related. This happens in all families over time. Most Derr family members qualify to join the "Daughter's of the American Revolution" Society.

The Amish church just let out. I know of many of these people because I drive through their neighborhood many times when visiting. We speak all the time. I waved to the Amish who played baseball and women’s Volley Ball across the street. Part of this section of the park looked like an Amish Parking lot. These people speak with a German accent. Some speak a subset of the German language.

No comments:

Post a Comment